District heating for Weißenhorn – breakthrough for climate protection
An ambitious major project of the Town of Weißenhorn and the Rural District of Landkreis Neu-Ulm was implemented together with us. The first and largest construction phase of the new district heating network was completed and put into service in the autumn 2017, in time for the heating period. The two 50% shareholders of the district heating project company (Fernwärmeprojektgesellschaft – FWP), Landkreis Neu-Ulm and the town of Weißenhorn, planned to invest 8.2 to 9.8 million euros.
District heating offers significant advantages due to its independence from fossil fuel-based energy sources. Fuels do not have to be stored in the home and the fluctuations in gas and oil prices do not apply. A blanket statement on whether district heating is less expensive than conventional heating cannot be given as it depends on the situation of the individual consumers.
Use of waste heat provides clean energy for heating and hot water at favourable prices. Fewer fossil fuels have to be used for heating. In addition, ideally, up to 1,650 tonnes of carbon dioxide can be saved, which equates to the average CO2 emissions of 235 detached houses. Another positive side-effect is the reduction of the fine dust impact in Weißenhorn due to the district heating supply.
In the project we worked out the basis for the decision making, which resulted from the requirements specification for the development of the Weißenhorn heat network:
- Preparing the conclusion of LOI/tentative agreements for heat supply
- Acquisition of other potential heat purchasers
- Holding discussions and negotiations
- Recommendation to shareholders regarding the conclusion of a contract
- Coordinating and consolidating the individual interests
- Operator model
- Investor models / financing options
- Project management for the project development company (Projektentwicklungs-GmbH)
- Working up the procedure adjusted to the project dynamics
- Coordination with the steering committee
- Coordination with members of the project development company (Projektentwicklungs-GmbH)
- Defining time schedules and lines of action
- Defining milestones
- Supporting the company with its PR work for the district heating project
- Contributing technical expertise
- Energy calculations for the heat network
- Profitability calculations for different options
- Contact with engineering consultancies
- Obtaining indicative price offers for investment-related components
- Following a decision to expand the heat network
- Preparation of tender documents for project planning
- Providing advice support for the call for tenderingprocedure: Obtaining tenders and technical checking
You want more information?
You are welcome to contact me:
Dr. Wolfram Dietz